Saturday, March 12, 2011

BP4_Exploratree







Why use Exploratree?
Exploratree is a tool to guide students through the thinking process.  As educators, our task is often to move students beyond the lower levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy into higher-level critical thinking.  This Web 2.0 tool contains a library of template maps.  Each and every one is customizable, and there’s also the option to build a map from scratch.




















The platform is fairly flexible.  It’s possible to upload pictures and insert hyperlinks to other media or websites.  It functions similarly to Prezi, in that the white space can zoom in or out.  One of my favorite features is the sequencing tool.  You can design a template that prompts students complete it in steps.  Scaffolding is important, especially if the assignment centers on a complex topic.  Sequencing is also helpful in presentation mode, as you can reveal information layer by layer for your audience.

“Sending” vs. “Sharing”
Exploratree has a couple of share options.  1) You can “Send” your thinking guide to a friend or group.  This allows them to view and edit your guide.  2) The other option is to “Submit for Commenting Only”.  The viewers will not be able to edit it, but can make comments.  3) The “Share” option is for collaboration.  If you “share” it with a friend or group, they can all participate in building the thinking guide.















Quick Facts
Pros:
Excellent library of pre-made templates, customizable, various possibilities for collaboration, educationally sound.
Cons:
A little bit tedious to learn the formatting tools, no ability to publish a “final page to the web” (without editing options), does not appear to offer synchronous collaboration the way Google docs does. 

See My Example
Here’s a test map that I set up.  The intent of this map to help students relate to a topic personally, then expand to think about its local and global affects.   Click on the image.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lania,
    This is a great tool. I use to think that because I taught Kindergarten, that I couldn't use concept maps with my students.....I was wrong. I started this, introducing my students to bubble maps, and then timelines. These maps really do help my students to get a better grasp on ideas. I'll probably use this one myself. It would be a great tool to use to help brainstorm for the CBR Project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lania, I enjoyed reading your comments and being introduced to this tool. This can help with so many different topics!!

    ReplyDelete